Often teeth can become worn down or lose their shape over time. That is because teeth are used every day from chewing to smiling and that can take its toll. Dental crowns are caps that can be placed over teeth to help improve its looks, restore its use, or even help it regain its shapes. Dental crowns can be cosmetic or necessary. Legacy Dental Care provides dental crowns for those whose teeth need a little pick-me-up.
Crowns ultimately cover and conceal the whole tooth all the way to the gum line. That way all you can see or use is the dental crown.
Reasons A Crown Might Be Necessary
There are a few reasons one may need a dental crown.
- ✱ You desire to cover up a discolored or ugly tooth
- ✱ You have a cavity that is too far gone for a simple filling.
- ✱ You have a tooth that is worn, cracked, or not able to sustain itself.
- ✱ You have had a root canal and need a crown to protect it.
Crowns can be made of multiple substances. This includes ceramic, porcelain, composite resin, or even metal alloys. What type of crown you receive depends on what you need the crown for as they all have different strengths and uses.
What dentists at Legacy Dental Care think about when deciding which material to use:
- ✱ The color or shade of your tooth
- ✱ Your own preference to the type
- ✱ The position of your gum tissue
- ✱ Where the tooth is and what it is used for
- ✱ How much of the tooth is revealed in a smile
How A Crown Is Placed
- ✱ The dentist firsts prepares your tooth to the best of their ability. They remove the outer bit of the tooth and any decay or damage so the crown can fit snugly.
- ✱ Then they make an impression so they have a mold for the crown to fit.
- ✱ A temporary crown may be placed while you wait for the permanent crown.
- ✱ The crown is placed over your tooth and adjusted as needed so it looks and fits as well as possible.